Weather: rain clouds
What I’m listening to: All New, Marian Call
Taco salads are great go-to meals that come together quickly and can be made for a crowd. They’re perfect for summertime when we have frequent visitors and need a flavorful low-stress meal that can be customized to everyones varying tastes.
Years ago, as our family grew, I began adding corn and black beans to the meat for taco salads to make the meat “stretch farther” and to add more color, texture, and flavor. Now we prefer it this way. I also love making taco salad with lean, healthy ground turkey in exchange for the standard ground beef you’ll find in the classic versions. You can put all the ingredients out and let everyone assemble their salads themselves. This simple salad is a family-style favorite around here.
Ground Turkey Taco Salad with Corn & Black Beans
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, or to taste
- 1 14.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups corn (fresh, frozen, or canned [rinsed and drained]
- For the Salad:
- 4 cups corn tortilla chips
- 12 ounces salad greens (I used a combination of spinach and green leaf/romaine)
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 large ripe avocado, sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups colby jack or cheddar cheese, shredded
- Ranch dressing, like this [one|http://alaskascratch.wpengine.com/2013/05/14/blackened-salmon-tacos-with-avocado-corn-salsa-cilantro-ranch-dressing/]
- Mexican hot sauce, like Tapatio, or salsa
- lime wedges
Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Season the turkey with salt and taco seasoning and brown the meat, breaking it up with a spatula as you go. When cooked through, add the black beans and corn, heating through. Taste for seasoning and add more salt or taco seasoning, as needed, to taste. If the mixture seems too dry, add water by the 1/4 cup to loosen up. Keep warm.
!To Assemble Salad: place chips (I like to crush them a little), then a big handful of salad greens and tomatoes, followed by meat/corn/beans mixture, then cheese. Top with avocado, cilantro, and green onions. Drizzle with dressing and hot sauce. Serve with lime wedges.