Breakfast Tacos with Bacon & Kale
Weather: 17 degrees, the tiniest, almost invisible snowflakes falling
What I’m listening to: Story of My Life, One Direction
You know those evenings that creep up on you when it’s suddenly dinnertime and you have no idea what you’re going to put on the table? Busy schedules, active children, homework, and calendar appointments all seem to take precedence over our ability to carve out time for meal planning, grocery shopping, and cooking. We’ve all been there. The night I made these tacos for the first time was exactly one of those nights. I opened the refrigerator, and with desperation written all over my face, I begged it to reveal something quick and easy to fix for the family. Please tell me I’m not the only one who does this – pretends my refrigerator and pantry are drive-up windows that are going to churn out amazing meals when I’m in a pinch, as if the food is going to be magically handed to me, already prepared.
I want to wave a wand or click my heals and say please. Please. Please let there be dinner.
And POOF! There it was.
Ok, it wasn’t exactly poof. But it was quick and easy – scramble some eggs, crisp up some bacon, sauté some kale, and toss it all into a warm tortilla and top with cheese and hot sauce. And, as a sheer bonus that night when I really didn’t care beyond getting something on the plate, it was delicious too. Win. I determined I’d make it again within the same week and photograph it for the blog because this meal saved my bacon that night.
Breakfast tacos with scrambled eggs, bacon and kale topped with cheese and hot sauce. Delicious for any meal of the day.
- 6-8 small warm tortillas*
For the Scrambled Eggs:
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon butter
For the Bacon & Kale:
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Cheese, like Colby Jack
- Hot Sauce, like Tapatio
- Avocado slices (optional)
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and salt and pepper. Place a skillet over medium heat and melt the butter. Pour the eggs into the pan and scramble until set. Transfer the scrambled eggs to a covered dish to keep warm.
- Wipe out the pan and return it to the heat. Cook the bacon until browned and crisp. Remove the bacon to some paper towels to drain.
- Pour off all but 2 teaspoons of the bacon fat leftover in the pan. Return the pan to the heat and toss in the kale. Season the kale with the garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Saute the kale in the bacon grease until it is tender and vibrant green, about 3 minutes. Crumble the bacon and add it to the kale. Then, take the scrambled eggs and stir them into the bacon and kale mixture. Remove from the heat. Lay out the warm tortillas on serving plates and spoon the scrambled egg mixture into each of the tortillas. Top with grated cheese, hot sauce, and avocado slices (if using). Serve.
*I have used both flour tortillas and corn tortillas for this, so it's really your preference. Warm the tortillas by steaming them or by warming them over the flames of a gas burner.