The houseguests just flew away and the ornaments have come off the tree. The food blogosphere falls relatively quiet in the few days following Christmas, in the lull before New Years menu planning amps up. I’ve enjoyed several days of family time, including celebrating my son’s 8th birthday and my daughter’s 5th. It has been a wonderful Christmas season and I’m sad to see it draw to a close.
I spent a good deal of time looking back over the recipes from this past year, remembering the food that was made and the memories and seasons that go along with them. I compiled a list of the most popular posts on the site in 2012 and also made a list of my personal favorites to share with you. My list of favorite recipes was much too long and I had the agonizing, yet wonderful task of picking and choosing. Here, finally, are the winners!
10 Most Popular Recipes of 2012
Fan Favorites are selected according to pageviews and are listed in order, with number 1 being the most viewed recipe this year. Removed from the list was a recipe in the Top 10 all-time pageviews that was published in the previous year.
6. Nutella-Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies
3. Caramel Apple Pull-Apart Bread
Thank you, fans, for loving my recipes and for a marvelous Top 10! Most of the time it’s impossible to tell which recipes will end up being popular. There are dozens of factors involved. It’s great fun to watch which recipes trend throughout the year. I am frequently surprised by what takes place on my own website. For example, I would never have imagined Balsamic Roasted Carrots would have been in my Top 10 (or even close!) when I posted that recipe. I was also caught off-guard and delighted again and again by the overwhelming popularity of Fresno Potatoes. Things like this are some of the great wonders of food blogging. However, every once in a while, I will get a feeling and just simply know that a recipe will be popular as I’m in the process of making it. Caramel Apple Pull-Apart Bread was one of those. I knew instantly with that one.
As for Key Lime Cake, I’ve gained a great deal of cake-making courage since posting that recipe last spring, largely because you, my readers, loved it and encouraged me through my cake insecurities. I am a better cake baker today because of that post and because of you. Thanks. Sincerely.
Now, here are some of my very favorites from this year…
Maya’s 10 Favorite Recipes of 2012
10. Orange Chicken
9. Warm Chocolate Skillet Cake
8. Slow-Cooker Jambalaya – which was in a tight race with Chicken Cacciatore and Black Bean Chili.
7. Pumpkin Pecan Baked Oatmeal – other close contenders in the Breakfast category were Huevos Rancheros Casserole and English Muffin French Toast.
6. Salmon Burgers with Cilantro Mayo – closely rivaled by Salmon Tostadas with Mango and Black Beans and Cheeseburgers Animal Style a la In-N-Out Burger.
5. Perfect Peanut Butter Cookies
4. Hot Corn Dip – I could lick this stuff right off the computer screen. I love it that much. You should make this for New Years or Superbowl or both. Yes, do both.
3. Strawberry Shortcake Scones
2. Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer – I equally adore the Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer and the Eggnog Coffee Creamer recipes, but couldn’t justify putting all three on this list!
1. Ricotta Gnocchi with Basil & Fresh Mozzarella
Didn’t see your favorite recipes featured? Comment below and let us know your Alaska from Scratch favorites this year.